This Month in our History – December

Estate_1941.jpg
Scranton Estate, as it appeared in 1941 (University of Scranton Archives)

December 25, 1897 - First honor roll – published in the Diocesan Record 

December 4, 1941 - Official University seal designed

December 1941 - Scranton Estate
Mr. Worthington Scranton, grandson of Joseph Hand Scranton, one of the founders of the City of Scranton which took its name from his family, donated to the diocese in trust for the University his family’s homestead, which included an elegant mansion and almost all of the surrounding four and half acre estate, and other surrounding properties in the lower Hill Section adjacent to the downtown area. The University originally used the Estate as a residence for the Jesuit community. Today, the Estate houses the University’s Office of Undergraduate Admissions.

 

December 1943 - September 1945 - Publication of the Aquinas suspended due to WWII

December 1946 - Began the move from Wyoming Ave to the new campus site on Linden and Monroe Streets. The University received authorization from the Civilian Production Administration in Washington for the construction of three new buildings using government surplus materials that had been intended for use as naval barracks. From 1947-1962 both campuses were in operation, about eight blocks apart.

December 8, 1956 - Loyola Hall
The University’s era of expansion began with the dedication of Loyola Hall of Science in December 1956. Constructed at a cost of $1,205,000, the reinforced concrete structure featured a porcelain enameled steel "skin" brickwork as well as aluminum mullions along its exterior. At the time of its opening, the basement was dedicated to engineering, the first floor to physics, the second floor to biology, the third floor to chemistry, and the penthouse to the University's radio station (WUSV).

December 1976 - Basketball Championship
At the end of their exceptional 1975-1976 season, the Royals’ men’s basketball team defeated fourth-ranked Wittenberg College to capture the NCAA Division III national championship.

December 1983 - Basketball Championship
The University of Scranton men’s basketball team won the NCAA Division III national championship in 1983 with a 64-63 victory over Wittenberg at "Long Center West" in Grand Rapids, Michigan.

December 2011 - Montrone Hall dedicated 

Disclaimer | Site Map | About Us | Contact

© 2014 The University of Scranton. Scranton, Pennsylvania 18510 (570) 941-7400