The Halls of The Loyola Science Center
Dr. H. McDonald Hall
Dedicated on Nov.11, 2011, the Dr. Herbert M. and Mary E. McDonald Hall is named in honor of Herbert, M.D. ’35, H’01 and Mary H’01 McDonald in recognition of their longstanding leadership and support of The University of Scranton. McDonald Hall was dedicated to the memory of Joseph T. McDonald, Esq. ’27, Frank M. McDonald, Esq. ’34 and George B. McDonald ’35, siblings of Dr. McDonald. Dr. McDonald served as president of the staff and chairman of the department of surgery at Hahnemann Hospital, now Geisinger-Community Medical Center of Scranton. Mary McDonald served on the University’s Board of Trustees from 1986-1992 and held the position of vice chair from 1989-1992.
The University of Scranton dedicated the Harper-McGinnis Wing of St. Thomas Hall in 1987 under 22nd President J.A. Panuska, S.J., in recognition of two longtime physics professors, Joseph P. Harper, Ph.D., and Eugene A. McGinnis, Ph.D. ’48. The original two-story addition to St. Thomas Hall, built in 1987, housed the Physics and Electrical Engineering departments. The late Dr. Harper earned his doctoral degree from the University of Texas. Prior to beginning his career at The University of Scranton in 1936, Dr. Harper taught at the University of Texas and St. Edward’s University in Austin, Texas. The late Dr. McGinnis, a World War II veteran, attended The University of Scranton and was a former student of Dr. Harper. Dr. McGinnis earned his doctorate from Fordham University. He began teaching in the University’s Physics and Electrical Engineering department shortly after earning his degree from the University in 1948. Together, Drs. Harper and McGinnis contributed more than 70 years of teaching service to The University of Scranton.
Recently dedicated on Aug. 5, 2012, Kuehner Hall is named in honor of longtime friends and supporters of the University, Carl J. ’62, H’11 and JoAnne M. H’01 Kuehner. Carl served on the Board of Trustees from 2003-2009 and served as chairman of the board from 2007-2009. He is currently the president of Real Estate Technology Corporation, a successful Florida-based real estate development and investment firm. JoAnne is the founder and chair of Hope for Haiti, Inc., an organization dedicated to improving the quality of life for the Haitian people through education, nutrition and healthcare.
Milani Hall was dedicated on March 24, 2012, in recognition of Frank ’55 and Doris Milani, along with their children, Natalie, Frank and Elizabeth. This hall is named in recognition of Dr. Milani’s long-standing support of the University, and honors the memory of several of his and his wife’s siblings. Dr. Milani earned his Bachelor of Science in biology from The University of Scranton in 1955 and his Doctor of Medicine from St. Thomas University in 1959. He presently practices internal medicine for the Lackawanna Medical Group and is a clinical faculty member at the Commonwealth Medical College.