Before contacting our office to place an ad please take a moment to consider these basic questions:
What are you advertising?
- For example, is it an event, such as an open house or an upcoming performance, or is it more generic, such as the overall benefits of your program?
- With that in mind – what are the key elements of the message you want to convey in your advertisement?
Why are you advertising?
- For example is it to drive attendance to an event, to enroll students, or to build the image of your program or department?
- The answer to this question will determine the call to action we need to include in the ad.
Who is the audience for your ad?
- Prospective students, faculty at other institutions, alumni, etc.
- This will help to focus the message.
Where should you advertise?
- What publications or other media reach your audience?
How much money do you want to spend?
- Knowing your budget limitations will help us to determine how many publications we can consider, size of ad, frequency, etc.
How will you measure the results?
- Inquiries from an online form, attendance at an event, calls to a designated number?
- What will you consider success?
Adapted from Marquette – Starting a Marketing Project?