Employee Recognition Programs
Description of the Sursum Corda Award:
The Sursum Corda ("Lift Up Your Hearts") Award recognizes those members of the University's staff who have made outstanding contributions to the life and mission of the University.
Each year, a Sursum Corda Award will be presented to three members of the University community:
- A member of the professional/paraprofessional staff;
- A member of the clerical/technical staff; and
- A member of the maintenance/University Police staff.
In order to be eligible for the award, a person must:
- Have spent at least five years in University service;
- Be nominated by his/her divisional leadership or by the Staff Senate
Categories of Excellence:
The nominees for the Sursum Corda Awards should have distinguished themselves in one or more of the following ways:
- Shown exceptional dedication and/or creativity in performing his or her duties, and
- Built, contributed, or nurtured the sense of community that has always been the hallmark of our campus community, and
- Contributed in a significant way to helping members of our community “grow to become the living presence of God in the world” (Fr. General Nicolas, former Superior General of the Society of Jesus).
Each year, the divisional leadership of the University will be invited to nominate members of staff from their areas for a Sursum Corda Award. In preparing their nominations, the vice presidents will solicit input from the managers within their areas. Once they have reviewed all of the nominations that they have received from their management teams, the vice presidents will forward the nominations they wish to have considered for the awards to the Office of Human Resources. Each divisional leader may nominate only one person in each of the three categories. Additionally, the Staff Senate will request nominations from all staff, provide this official Sursum Corda Award description, an award nomination form, both electronic and printed, and collect nominations from any staff member.
The Office of Human Resources will prepare the full roster of nominees and forward to the Sursum Corda Committee. After reviewing all the nominations, the Committee will present their recommendations to the President. The award is presented to the recipients at Spring Convocation.
Sursum Corda Nomination Form, fillable form fillable-form, use Adobe Acrobat Pro to complete
Time Away from Work
- Additional Benefits
- Elective Benefits
- Life Insurance
- Employment and Employee Relations
- Contact Us
- Maps and Directions
- HR News & Events
- Compliance Corner
- Early Learning Center
Office of Human Resources
St. Thomas Hall, Suite 100
The University of Scranton
Scranton, PA 18510-4633
To Report Suspected Child Abuse:Call CHILDLINE: (800)-932-0313