Procedure for Supervisors
- When a student approaches a supervisor requesting to be considered for a position in his or her department or if a supervisor has a particular student in mind for the position, the supervisor must instruct the student to contact the financial aid office. The student is not permitted to work until he or she is approved by the financial aid office.
- There are requirements which must be fulfilled in the financial aid office for Federal Work Study. They are as follows:
1. FAFSA must be on file
2. The student must be eligible for the Federal Work Study Program determined by the FAFSA
3. An on-line work study application must be filed
4. An I-9 and W-4 must be completed in the presence of a member of the human resource office with original documents
5. A student must meet satisfactory academic progress
6. A student should not be under any holds; financial or academic
- If the student does not qualify for Federal Work Study, he or she may be placed on University Work Study funds. The student is still required to fulfill requirements 3 thru 6 inclusive. If the department in question does not have University work study funds, the department head must put in a request in writing to Assistant VP budget & Finance Plan for allocation of these funds.
- Once all requirements are met, the financial aid office will make the referral to the named department. At this time, the supervisor may go to our supervisors on-line placement form to hire the student in question. The student may begin working at this point.
If a supervisor or student has any questions concerning these procedures, please feel free to contact the financial aid office at 570-941-7701 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For International students to be reviewed for Federal Work study, they must be an eligible non-citizen and must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA). If they are not an eligible non-citizen, these students can be placed on University Work study. The department must notify the Financial Aid office of this request. These students must complete an on-line work study application and complete an I-9 and W-4. The I-9 must be completed in the Human Resources Office. A social security number must be obtained before an I-9 may be completed.
Directions on How to Complete the Online Work Study Placement Form
- Supervisors must go to YWAWSHR (see below)
- The Supervisors will see a list of students that have been referred to them appearing in alphabetical and date order.
- After the supervisor interviews a new student or a student returning to the same position previously worked for the department:
- Their name will appear on a work-list
- Click on the student's name.
- You will have a choice of HIRE or NOT HIRE
- If you HIRE the student, you will be asked to complete the following steps:
- Select a hire date
- Next you need to select a pay-rate (Note: Note: if the student is a level 4 you will be asked to provide information to the Director of Payroll Information Systems for approval)
- If you select NOT HIRE
- The student is removed from your work list
- The student is then returned to the pool of applicants requesting work study
- Log into my.scranton.edu
- Click on Banner ERP
- Look at Public Applications channel
- Select YWAWSHR from the list of applications - If not listed, there is a “Search - Use % as wildcard” feature in the middle. Type YWAWSHR in the space provided and click SEARCH
Rehire instractions for Summer and next academic year (June 1 to May 31)
A student must be register for 6 credits in the summer and/or fall semester to be eligible to work.
- Log into my.scranton.edu
- Click on Banner ERP
- Look for Employee Applications then Public Applications
- Select RYAWSUP (Work Study Supervisor Form) from the list of applications
- If not listed, there is a “Search - Use % as wildcard” feature in the middle. Type RYAWSUP in the space provided and click SEARCH
Once on RYAWSUP:
- Login in if prompted
- Select position number(s)
- If students are listed, check off the ones you would like to rehire
- Review Job Description or enter one if blank
- Select Yes or No for Community Service
- Review Job Skills Desired
- Click Submit
- If no changes need to be made, Click Menu
- Repeat Steps 2 through 8 until all position numbers have Completed On & Completed By information (even if no students are listed under a specific position number)
- Select Summary & complete
- Must determine how many students you need for full academic year (Summer, Fall & Spring)
- Must determine, out of the amount you listed for full academic year, how many do you want for the summer.
Example: If you do not have dates next to every position number and summary, you did not do everything you were supposed to.
RYAWSUP - Work Study Supervisor Form
Summary has been completed.
Please select a Position or Department Summary to update.Position Type Completed On Completed By
060058 Federal XX-MAY-20XX John A. Doe
060095 State XX-MAY-20XX John A. Doe
Summary XX-MAY-20XX John A. Doe
If you have student’s working for you in the summer, you must send an email with a spreadsheet with the following columns to email@example.com:
Summer or Fall
If you do not want to re-hire a returning student(s), it is your responsibility to inform the student(s) of the decision.
Please note, when departments hire student(s) in the summer, the students expectations may be that they will continue for the academic year. If this is not the case, during the interview process please inform the students of this. Student(s) who do not perform to the supervisor’s satisfaction can be terminated.