Disaster Relief

If recent severe weather conditions resulted in damage or loss to your property, or affected your livelihood, you may qualify for a reevaluation of your financial aid eligibility.  If you are currently in repayment on a student or parent federal loan, you may also qualify for temporary forbearance.  The below information is a brief summary of how you may report any decline in your ability to meet your educational expenses.  Please carefully review and contact the Financial Aid Office for additional assistance.

Loan Repayment Difficulties

Borrowers of Federal Student Loan, Perkins Loan and Alternative Loan who may have suffered losses due to the recent weather events may find some relief from their student loan obligations.  Forbearance options allow students the necessary time needed when facing financial difficulty due to unplanned events such as the Natural Disasters of Hurricanes Sandy.   The National Student Loan Database provides information pertaining to the amount of your current Student Loan Debt and who is the Servicing Agent for those Student Loans.  If you are currently in repayment or will begin your repayment obligation in the near future, please review the Helpful Contact Sheet for the proper contact information.  You must contact your Servicer directly to obtain Forbearance Options.

The Federal Student Aid Ombudsman of the Department of Education helps resolve disputes and solve other problems with federal student loans.

For a borrower who is in repayment and who is affected by a disaster, the FFEL loan holder and Perkins loan holder is authorized to grant an administrative forbearance for a period of up to three months. The loan holder must provide a notice to the borrower to allow the borrower the opportunity to decline the forbearance.

Reduction of Income

University of Scranton students are encouraged to review our Student Special Conditions Form for 2012-2013 and Parent(s) Special Conditions Form for 2012-2013. We have developed this form for families in your situation to tell us of extraordinary situations placing financial strain on your family.

Pennsylvania Resident Students

Reduction of income forms may also be completed and sent to Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (PHEAA).

Pennsylvania State Grant Recipients who have suffered serve casualty losses as a result of Hurricane Sandy or other disasters are encouraged to complete and submit a Casualty Loss Form for possible reconsideration of their State Grant Award.

The Casualty Loss Form is available online at www.pheaa.org/casualty-lossThe deadline for returning this form and 2011 tax documents to PHEAA is April 1, 2013

It is PHEAA’s policy to give special consideration to a student’s State Grant application when it is determined that the family’s ability to finance educational costs has been reduced as a result of losses incurred due to fire, storm, or other unforeseeable circumstances.
PHEAA State Grant and Special Program staff is a available to answer your questions at 1-800-692-7392.

Disaster Relief Funding Reporting

Please note disaster relief funds received by your family should not be reported on the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as taxable or untaxed income.