Curriculum Vitae (partial)
- 2008- Present. Associate Professor, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
- 2008-2012. Project Shepherd, Loyola Science Center Construction project, University of Scranton, Scranton PA. This position involves coordination of the construction of a $90 million, 150,000 ft2. science building following the design principles outlined by Project Kaleidoscope . This will house all the mathematics and sciences in the College of Arts and Sciences, ensuring that the design focuses on building undergraduate teaching and research spaces, as well as spaces designed to promote interdisciplinary collaboration.
- 2002 -2008. Assistant Professor, University of Scranton, Scranton, PA
- 1997 - 2002. Research Associate, Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia. PA.
- 1994 - 1997. Post-doctoral researcher at the Monell Chemical Senses Center, Philadelphia. PA.
- 1989-1994. Teaching assistant/research assistant, Boston University Marine Program, Woods Hole, MA.
- 1987-1989. High School Biology teacher, St. Scholastica’s High School, Manila, Philippines.
- 2011 Membership, Alpha Sigma Nu Jesuit Honors Society, Chapter of the University of Scranton
- 2005 Edward Gannon Award for Excellence in Teaching, Alpha Sigma Nu Chapter of the University of Scranton
- 1994. Dean’s Award (College of Liberal Arts) for Outstanding Research, Boston University.
- 1994. Arthur G. Humes Alumni Award, Boston University Marine Program
- 1990-1993. University Teaching Fellowships, Boston University
- 1989-1990. Presidential University Graduate Fellowship, Boston University
- Gomez, G., Voigt,R., Atema, J. 1992. High resolution measurement and control of chemical stimuli in the lateral antennule of the lobster Homarus americanus. Biol. Bull. 183:353-354.
- Gomez, G., Voigt, R., Atema, J. 1994. Frequency filter properties of lobster chemoreceptor cells determined with high-resolution stimulus measurement. J. Comp. Physiol. A 174:803-811.
- Gomez, G., Voigt, R., Atema, J. 1994. Tuning properties of chemoreceptor cells of the American lobster: temporal filters. In Proceedings of the International Symposium on Olfaction and Taste XI, pp.788-789.
- Gomez, G., Atema, J. 1994. Time course of recovery from adaptation by hydroxyproline-sensitive lobster olfactory receptor neurons. Biol. Bull. 187:259-260. Gomez, G., Atema, J. 1996. Temporal resolution in olfaction II. Time course of recovery from adaptation in lobster chemoreceptor cells. J. Neurophysiol. 76:1340-1343.
- Gomez, G., Atema, J. 1996. Temporal resolution in olfaction: stimulus integration time of lobster chemoreceptor cells. J. Exp. Biol. 199:1771-1779.
- Gomez, G., Restrepo, D., Rawson, N. E., Lowry, L.D., Keane, W.M., Rothstein, J. L. 1996. Induction of differentiation of human olfactory neuroblastoma cells into odorant responsive cells. Neurosci. 74:567-577.
- Rawson, N. E., Gomez, G., Cowart, B., Brand, J.G., Lowry, L.D., Pribitkin, E.A., Restrepo, D. 1997. Selectivity and response characteristics of human olfactory neurons. J. Neurophysiol. 77:1606-1613.
- Rawson, N. E., Gomez, G., Cowart, B., Restrepo, D. 1998. The use of olfactory receptor neurons (ORNs) from biopsies to study changes in aging and neurodegenerative diseases. Ann. NY Acad. Sci. 855:701-707. Gomez, G., Voigt, R., Atema, J. 1999. Temporal resolution in olfaction III. Flicker fusion and concentration-dependent synchronization with stimulus pulse trains in lobster chemoreceptor cells. J. Comp. Physiol. A 185:427-436.
- Gomez, G., Rawson, N.E., Cowart, B., Lowry, L.D., Pribitkin, E. A., Restrepo, D. 2000. Modulation of odor-induced increases in [Ca2+]i by inhibitors of protein kinases A and C in olfactory receptor neurons. Neurosci. 98:181-189.
- Gomez, G. 2000. Olfactory receptor neurons are complex odorant information processors. Focus on “Excitation, inhibition, and suppression by odors in isolated toad and rat olfactory receptor neurons”. Am. J. Physiol. Cell 279: C19-C20.
- Gomez, G., Rawson, N.E., Hahn C-G., Micahels, R., Restrepo, D. 2000. Characteristics of odorant elicited calcium changes in cultured human olfactory neurons. J. Neurosci. Res., 62: 737-749.
- Lane, A.P., Gomez, G., Dankulich, T., Wang H., Bolger W.E., Rawson N.E. 2002. The superior turbinate as a source of functional human olfactory receptor neurons. Laryngoscope 112:1183-1189.
- Rawson, N.E., Gomez, G. 2002. Cell and molecular biology of human olfaction. Microsc. Res. Tech. 58:142-151. Hahn, C-G., Gomez, G., Restrepo, D., Friedman, E.. Josiassen, R., Pribitkin, E.A., Lowry, L.D., Gallop, R.J., Rawson, N.E. 2005. Aberrant intracellular calcium signaling in olfactory neurons from patients with bipolar disorder. Am. J. Psych. 162(3): 616-618.
- Gomez, G., Lischka, F.W., Haskins, M.E., Rawson, N.E. 2005. Evidence for multiple calcium response mechanisms in mammalian olfactory receptor neurons. Chem. Senses 30:317-326.
- Jung, Y., Wirkus, E., Amendola, D., Gomez, G. 2005. Characteristics of odorant elicited calcium fluxes in acutely-isolated chick olfactory neurons. J. Comp. Physiol. A. 191: 511-520.
- Gomez, G. 2007. Olfaction in birds: an untapped resource for the study of olfactory systems. Chemosense 9: 1-5.
- Gomez, G. Celii, A. 2008. The peripheral olfactory system of the domestic chicken: physiology and development. Brain Res Bull. 76:218-216.
- Lischka, F.W., Gomez, G., Yee, K. K., Dankulich-Nagrundny, L., Lo, L., Haskins, M.E., Rawson, N.E. 2008. Altered olfactory epithelial structure and function in feline models of mucopolysaccharidoses I and VI. J. Comp. Neurol. 511:360-372.
- Borgmann-Winter, K.E., Rawson, N.E, Wang, H.-Y., Wange, H. , MacDonald, M.L., Ozdener, M.H., Yee, K.K. , Gomez, G., Xu, J. , Bryant, B. , Adamek, G., Mirzai, N., Pribitkin, E., Hahn, C.-G. 2009. Human olfactory epithelial cells generated in vitro express diverse neuronal characteristics. Neuroscience 158: 642-653.
- Rawson, N.E., Gomez, G., Cowart, B.J., Kriete, A., Pribitkin, E., Restrepo, D. 2012. Age-associated loss of selectivity in human olfactory sensory neurons. Neurobiol. Aging 33(9): 1913-1919.
- Yazinski, S.A., Gomez, G. 2014. Timecourse of structural and functional maturation of human olfactory epithelial cells in vitro. J. Neurosci. Res. 92:64-73.
- DeNunzio, M., Gomez, G..2014. Extracellular glutathione promotes migration of hydrogen peroxide-stressed cultured chick embryonic skin cells. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Anim. 50:350-357.
- Greco, A.A., Gomez, G. 2014. Differential effects of hypoxic and hyperoxic stress-induced hypertrophy in cultured chick fetal cardiac myocytes. In Vitro Cell. Dev. Biol. Anim. 50: 129-138.
- O’Neill, G., Musto, C., Gomez, G. 2017. Chronic odorant exposure upregulates acquisition of functional properties in cultured embryonic chick olfactory sensory neurons. J. Neurosci. Res.95: 1216-1224.
- Chen-Liaw, A.Y., Hammel, G., Gomez, G. 2017. Inhibition of Exendin-4-induced steatosis by protein kinase A in cultured HepG2 human hepatoma cells. In Vitro Cell Dev. Biol.-Anim. 53:721-727.
- Harasym, E., McAndrew, N., Gomez, G. 2017. Sub-micromolar concentrations of retinoic acid induce morphological and functional neuronal phenotypes in SK-N-SH neuroblastoma cells via CRABP2. In Vitro Cell Dev. Biol.-Anim. 53:789-809
Reynolds, M., Phetruen, T., Fisher, R., Chen, K., Pentecost, B., Gomez, G., Ounjai, P. Sui, H. 2018. The developmental process of the growing motile ciliary tip region. Scientific Reports 8:7977.
Published Abstracts (student co-authored)
- Jung Y., Amendola D., Wirkus E., Gomez G. 2003. Odorant sensitivity of acutely isolated chick olfactory neurons. Soc Neurosci Abstr 29:820.7
- Yazinski S, Crockett J, Rawson N, Gomez G. 2003. Functional maturation of human olfactory neurons in vitro. Soc Neurosci Abstr. 29:820.8.
- Jung Y., Amendola D., Wirkus E., Gomez G. 2004. Characterization of stimulus-elicited calcium changes in isolated bird oflactory neurons. Chem Senses. 26:39.154
- Celii A., de Jesus S., Gomez G. 2006. Anatomical and behavioral investigations of in ovo odor sensitivity and odor imprinting in chick embryos. Chem. Senses 31:A118.
- Costanzo J., Gomez G. 2006. Investigating the role of sodium calcium exchangers in cultured human olfactory cells. Chem. Senses 31:A11.
- Bernatowicz, B., Gomez, G. 2012. Odor stimuli increase neurogenesis and nerve cell differentiation in cultured embryonic chick olfactory neurons. Soc Neurosci Abstr.174.01
- Piacente, M., Fenocchi, K. Gomez, G. 2012. Oxidative stress-induced impairments in cell adhesion in cultured embryonic chick brain neurons and neuroblastoma cells may be due to compromised protein traffic of cell membrane proteins. Soc Neurosci Abstr. 65.13
- Chen Liaw, A., Gomez, G. 2013. Extracellularly applied antioxidants promote growth and survival of peroxide-stressed neurons cultured from chick embryonic brain cells. Mol Biol Cell 24 (suppl), Abstract No. 1136.
- Giusto, E., Gomez, G. 2013. Oxidative stress alters APP expression and distribution in neurons derived from the chick embryonic brain. . Mol Biol Cell 24 (suppl), Abstract No. 1872.
- Harasym, E., Gomez, G. 2013. Retinoic acid at submicromolar concentrations induces neuronal phenotypes in neuroblastoma cells. . Mol Biol Cell 24 (suppl), Abstract No. 2437.
- McAndrew, N., Gomez, G. 2014. Retinoic acid induces neuroblastoma differentiation by activation of CRABPII. Mol Biol Cell 25 (suppl), Abstract No. 1382.
- O'Neill, G., Musto, C., Gomez, G. 2014. Extracellular stimuli regulate cell differentiation and acquisition of functional properties in cultured embryonic chick olfactory neurons. Mol Biol Cell 25 (suppl), Abstract No. 478.
- Chen Liaw, A., Gomez, G. 2015. Exendin-4 reduces hepatic steatosis in cultured hepatocytes. Mol Biol Cell 26 (suppl), Abstract No. 1652
- McAndrew, N., Gomez, G. 2015. Retinoic acid-induced neuronal differentiation in neuroblastoma is mediated by the activation of the CRABPII signaling pathway. Mol Biol Cell 26 (suppl), Abstract No. 1105
- O'Neill, G., Musto, C., Gomez, G. 2015. Expression of Golf and OMP in chick olfactory neurons is influenced by exposure to exogenous compounds. Mol Biol Cell 26 (suppl), Abstract No. 433
- Reynolds, M., Fenocchi, K., Gomez, G. 2015. Differential effects of peroxynitrite exposure on membrane protein synthesis and traffic in cerebellar versus cerebral cultured embryonic chick brain neurons. Mol Biol Cell 26 (suppl), Abstract No. 1295
- Gomez, G., Beyrent, E. 2017. Differential effects of oxidative stress on cerebral and cerebellar neurons cultured from the embryonic chick brain. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 53 (suppl):S39–S44, Abstract No. 2008.
- Beyrent, E., Gomez, G. 2017. Oxidative stress-induced Tau hyperphosphorylation and redistribution in cultured chick embryonic brain neurons. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 53 (suppl):S39–S44, Abstract No. 2010.
- Hammel, G., Chen-Liaw, A.Y., Gomez, G. 2017. Inhibition of Exendin-4-induced steatosis by protein kinase A in cultured HepG2 human hepatoma cells. In Vitro Cell Dev Biol Anim 53 (suppl):659–668, Abstract No. 3005.
Beyrent, E., Galardi, M., Gomez, G. 2017. Differential effects of oxidative stress on neurons cultured from different regions of the embryonic chick brain. Mol Biol Cell 27: 3947, Abstract No. 3202.
Haber A., Gomez, G. 2017. Oxidative stress impedes trafficking and increases vesicular accumulation of amyloid precursor protein in HTB‐11 neuroblastoma cells. Mol Biol Cell 27: 3947, Abstract No. 1416.
Kennedy, A., Gomez, G. 2017 Activity‐dependent modulation of neuronal proliferation and differentiation in cultured chick olfactory neurons. Mol Biol Cell 27, 3947, Abstract No. 3244.
Reynolds, M., Phetruen, T., Fisher, R., Chen, K. Wu, Y., Pentecost, B., Gomez, G., Ounjai, P., Sui, H. 2017. The growing motile cilium tip undergoes a time‐dependent development process. Mol Biol Cell 27, 3947, Abstract No. 2024.
Restrepo, D. Gomez, G., Beauchamp, G.K., Tanida, M., Saito, T., Nakamura, S., Okazaki, Y. Wachi, S., Takashima, Y. Adjuvants and methods for raising intracellular calcium ion concentration.
U.S. Patent 6150409. Nov. 21, 2000.
EPO Patent EP1004654. May 31, 2000.
Recent Invited Presentations
- 2002. “Human olfaction: neuronal growth and function”. Hollins University, Jan. 22, 2002.
- 2002. “Cellular Physiology and Neurogeneis in the Human Olfactory System”. University of Scranton
- 2002. “Cellular Physiology and Neurogeneis in the Human Olfactory System”. Marquette University
- 2003. “Growing Noses in a Dish”. Marywood University
- 2005. “The Story of O: Olfaction, Cell Function, and Nerve Cell Growth”. Faculty Research Seminar Series, University of Scranton 2007. The peripheral olfactory system of chicks: physiology and development. International Brain Research Organization, July 19-23, Heron Island, Australia.
- 2009. “Repurposing existing buildings to get a high-quality interdisciplinary program for less” (co-authored with Leslie Glynn and Charles Kirby). Tradeline Conference on University Science Facilities, St. Petersburg, FL. Dec. 2-3, 2009
- 2010. “Interdisciplinary science teaching pedagogies and the competitive facilities they need”. General Session, Tradeline Conference on University Science Facilities, Boston, MA Oct. 16-17, 2010.
- 2010. “I Am Curious About Yellow: Chicks, Chick Brains, and Nerve Cell Development”. Faculty Research Seminar Series, University of Scranton
- 2011. “A History of the Philippines As Seen Through Its Food”. Asian Studies: Asian Studies Tour of Asia. University of Scranton
- 2011. “The Philippines A history of a people, and the two revolutions that shaped its history. Presentation for the International Students. University of Scranton.
- 2014. Diversity of Asian Cultures (together w/ Dr. Ann Pang-White and Allison Lai) at United States Penitentiary Canaan Federal Prison, May 22, 2014
- 2015. Cancer Cell Cultures and Nerve Cells: the Double-Edged Sword”. September 4, 2015. Faculty Research Seminar Series, University of Scranton
- Webmaster and designer, Biology Department Website (2008 – current; Biology Department Facebook page (2009 – current), Loyola Science Center Website (2009 – 2012); Asian Studies (2010 – current)
- Member, University Concert Chorus, Fall 2003 – current
- Member, Community Based Learning Board, Fall 2017-current
- University Task Force for the Diversity Action Plan, 2003-2005
- Health Professions Evaluation Committee, 2004-2010, 2017 -current
- Science Education Committee, Fall 2004-2009
- Faculty Development Board, Fall 2004-Spring 2007; Fall 2009-Spring 2012
- Diversity Initiatives Review Board, 2006 – 2012
- Diversity Advisory Group, 2007 – 2012
- Committee on University Image and Promotion, 2008 – 2014
- Board of Rank and Tenure, 2009-2010, 2012-2013
- Search Committee, University President, 2010
- Search Committee, Associate Provost for Academic Affairs, 2010-2011
Full CV is available upon request