Skip to Page's ContentSkip to Top NavSkip to SearchSkip to FooterSkip to Class Notes Nav
#
#

University Receives Gift from Scranton Estate

University Receives Gift from Scranton Estate
Two of Gov. William L. Scranton and Mary L. Chamberlin Scranton’s children, William W. Scranton III (second from left) and Susan Scranton Dawson (right), along with William III’s wife, Maryla (left), presented University President Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., with a $1.4 million gift.

Seventy-five years after Worthington Scranton donated the Estate, the University received a $1.4 million gift from the estate of his son, Gov. William W. Scranton, who died on July 28, 2013, and his wife, Mary L. Chamberlin Scranton, who died on Dec. 26, 2015. 

University President Kevin P. Quinn, S.J., called the gift, made in honor of the University’s 22nd president, J.A. Panuska, S.J., a milestone and one of the largest gifts in University history. 

Two of Gov. and Mrs. Scranton’s children, William W. Scranton III and Susan Scranton Dawson, along with William III’s wife, Maryla, joined Fr. Quinn at Scranton Hall to mark what he called “an important moment in our history.” He also noted Scranton Hall was a fitting place to recognize the continuing support from the city’s founding family. 

Scranton Hall was a carriage house until Worthington Scranton added a floor and converted it into an office building in 1928-29. The University acquired the building in 1958, and Fr. Panuska renamed it Scranton Hall in 1984 in honor of the family.

Read the full article, here.

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
#
Contact Us
Copyright 2017 The University of Scranton. All Rights Reserved.