Skip to Page's ContentSkip to Top NavSkip to SearchSkip to FooterSkip to Class Notes Nav
#
#

125th Celebration: A Timeline of the History of The University of Scranton

1888

1888 Invitation to the Cornerstone Blessing

The University of Scranton was founded as St. Thomas College by Most Reverend William G. O’Hara, D.D., the first Bishop of Scranton. On Aug.12, 1888, with few resources at hand, he blessed a single block of granite as the cornerstone for his vision. Though there was no money, no building and not a single professor, Bishop O’Hara’s simple act of faith launched a long tradition of unshakable belief in what would become The University of Scranton.

Letter dated Aug. 6, 1888 from Right Rev. William O’Hara, Bishop of Scranton, inviting the recipient to attend the blessing of the cornerstone of the College of St. Thomas of Aquinas, soon to be known as St. Thomas College. The event was held on Aug. 12, 1888.


1892

It took Bishop O’Hara four years, but the Diocese of Scranton raised the funds that allowed the first students to take classes at St. Thomas College in 1892. The college was staffed by diocesan priests and seminarians.

1897 - Arrival of Christian Brothers

Letter dated Sept. 6, 1897 from Michael J. Hoban to Reverend Brother Candidian, regarding the arrival of the Christian Brothers at St. Thomas College.


1896

The Xaverian Brothers withdrew and Bishop O’Hara invited the Christian Brothers to administer St. Thomas College. The Brothers administered the college for 45 years.


1901

The first bachelor’s degrees were awarded by St. Thomas College. Since the college did not have a charter, the students received diplomas from other Christian Brothers’ schools, most notably LaSalle University in Philadelphia.


1917

With World War I raging, enrollment at St. Thomas College, an all-male school, declined. The Christian Brothers scaled back to “junior college” status.


1921

The baccalaureate degree returned! This time, with a charter. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charter, granted on Jan. 12, 1924, meant that the Class of 1925 received their diplomas in the name of St. Thomas College.

Charter


1925

Frank OharaThe baccalaureate degree returned! This time, with a charter. The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania charter, granted on Jan. 12, 1924, meant that the Class of 1925 received their diplomas in the name of St. Thomas College.

 

Frank O’Hara, Class of 1925. 

 


1927

The 1920s were golden years for St. Thomas College. Enrollment boomed and, in 1927, the college gained Middle States accreditation, which it still maintains today.

Middle States Accreditation notification


1938

St. Thomas College was renamed The University of Scranton. Also, Brother Dennis Edward, then president, and University administration decided to admit women to the University’s evening programs. The day school remained exclusively male.

St. Thomas College name change

Black and white reproduction of a photograph of the installation of a University of Scranton sign on the outside of College Hall (Old Main), below the existing St. Thomas College sign, in the fall of 1938. The College’s name changed to The University of Scranton on March 30, 1938. College President Brother Denis Edward looks on.


1939

When the University of Scranton football team, the “Tommies,”met the City College of New York on Oct. 14, the game was televised by NBC. According to The Aquinas this was only the third football game ever televised. The Scranton squad overwhelmed CCNY 31-0. On Jan. 3, 1961, The University of Scranton discontinued the football program.

1939 football team


1941

In December, the Scranton family donated their family residence to the University. Today, this residence stands proudly as The Estate, home of the Office of Admissions and the Admissions Visitors Center.


1942

The Depression years were hard on the nation, and the University was not immune. Frank O’Hara, who served as the registrar, determined that no student should have to withdraw because his family could not pay tuition. O’Hara’s policy, backed by the administration, carried the University through tough times but also meant severe financial difficulties. By 1941 the Christian Brothers felt they had no choice but to withdraw. Bishop William Joseph Hafey invited the Society of Jesus not only to administer, but to take ownership of The University of Scranton.

1942 Jesuit Community

Photograph of the members of the original Jesuit community at The University of Scranton, taken in summer 1942 in the library of the former Scranton Estate.


1942

In what professor emeritus and university historian, Francis X.J. Homer, Ph.D., says was the next great act of faith in the University, the Jesuits agreed to take ownership of the school. It was a tall order. World War II had engulfed the globe and enrollment had subsequently suffered, so the school faced significant financial peril. Nevertheless, Rev. W. Coleman Nevils, S.J., the University’s first Jesuit president, arrived in the late summer of 1942 with 18 other Jesuits


1943

The Annex, an old hospital converted to classrooms that stood on the corner of Mulberry Street and Wyoming Avenue, burned. Dr. Homer says this is the only University of Scranton building ever lost to a natural disaster. After the fire damage was repaired, the building became the home of Scranton Preparatory School when it opened in 1944.

Annex Fire


1947

After the war, University enrollment exploded, aided by the GI bill. The University acquired naval barracks built in Scranton’s lower Hill section and used them as classrooms. The barracks remained in service until 1962. During these years, it was not unusual to see frantic young men running up Linden Street trying to get from classes in Old Main on Wyoming Avenue to the barracks in the lower Hill, a distance of five blocks.

Barracks A building


1953

Rev. John J. Long, S.J., became president of the University (he served until 1963) and embarked on an extensive building campaign. In 1967 came the final piece of Fr. Long’s legacy, a varsity athletic center fittingly named the Long Center.

Library expansion

Black and white photograph dated 1958 of the construction of the Alumni Memorial Library, now Alumni Memorial Hall. The Estate and Loyola Hall are visible in the background, with Ridge Row in the foreground.


1962

In partnership with the City of Scranton and the Scranton Redevelopment Authority, the University acquired parcels of land along Ridge Row, Linden Street and Mulberry Street, which established the University’s campus in its present location.


1972

1972 CoedThe University of Scranton goes coed!

The remarkable Scranton Fulbright story began.

Since 1972, 144 graduates of The University of Scranton have been awarded a Fulbright or other international fellowship award to support a year of study outside of the United States. Scranton has earned consistent recognition from The Chronicle of Higher Education as a “top producer” of Fulbright awards.

Photograph dated spring 1972 of two University of Scranton students. Images from this photo shoot were used to advertise the University’s adoption of coeducation, using the tagline, “Their smiles mean the College of Arts and Sciences is now coed.”


1978

The University establishes its business school, now the Kania School of Management.

Alprin

Today, the Irwin E. Alperin Financial Center in Brennan Hall simulates a “trading floor” environment, complete with an electronic ticker, and news and data displays.


1980

The 1980 construction of the University’s beloved Commons closed the 900 and 1000 blocks of Linden Street to all but pedestrian traffic. Previously, approximately 4,500 vehicles traveled on Linden Street on an average day amidst an estimated 6,000 pedestrian crossings.


1982

Joseph A. Panuska, S.J., is named president. He served in that role for 16 years, the longest tenure to date of a University president. Fr. Panuska guided the University through a period of dramatic growth in facilities, faculty, staff and services to students.

Panuska

In 1992, Father Panuska, Charles Kratz and Richard Passon placed a time capsule into the cornerstone of the Weinberg Memorial Library. 


1985

A successful “Second Cornerstone Campaign” results in a strengthened University endowment and acquisitions like the Immanuel Baptist Church, now the Houlihan-McLean Center.

The Board of Trustees established the College of Health, Education and Human Resources, re-naming it the Panuska College of Professional Studies in 1998.


1989

In December, the University received what was then its largest gift: $6 million from the Harry and Jeanette Weinberg Foundation. Construction of what is now the Weinberg Memorial Library began the following year.

 

1990 Library

Cover of a 12-page booklet produced in 1990 describing the Gateway to the Future University of Scranton Library Campaign, which was used to raise funds for what would become the Weinberg Memorial Library.


2000

In February, the Board of Trustees approved a 20-year vision for the University campus to become a “distinguished district” within the City of Scranton. The campus as it is today began to take shape with “student residences at the top of the hill, academic centers at the bottom and student life areas in between.” The priority building for this vision: Brennan Hall.


2001

The number of Fulbright Fellows from the University broke the 100 mark in June 2001 with the announcement that six University students had received fellowships to pursue graduate study and research abroad in the 2001-2002 academic year.

Fulbright

From left, Susan Trussler, Ph.D, Fulbright advisor and associate professor of economics/finance; Fulbright winners Nicole Heron, Erin Friel, Clifford McMurray, Lisa Blagiotti, Maria Atzert and Carol Gleeson; and University president Joseph M. McShane, S.J.


2008

The University’s first LEED-certified building, The Patrick and Margaret DeNaples Center, opened.

DeNaples


2012

The University dedicated the new Loyola Science Center, one of the most innovative science buildings in the country, on Sept. 28, 2012. The $85 million, nearly 200,000- square-foot facility marked the largest capital project in the history of the Jesuit university and the culmination of more than 15 years of planning and preparation.

Loyola


2013

The University remains committed to enriching the quality and variety of its academic offerings. In addition, continued investment in the physical plant includes plans for an eight-story center for rehabilitation education to serve growing programs in Occupational Therapy, Physical Therapy and Exercise Science. Expected completion is the summer of 2015.

Jeffereson



For the complete timeline, which includes additional events from our history, visit 125th.scranton.edu

Comments
blog comments powered by Disqus
Table of Contents
Table of Contents
#
Be Social!
Contact Us
Copyright 2015 The University of Scranton. All Rights Reserved.