Joseph Allan Panuska, S. J.
Series Descriptions and Folder Lists
This series consists of approximately 30 office files arranged in numerical order. Contents of the files range from the planning committee, Jesuit identity and mission, finance, scholarships, middle states accreditation, real estate, Association of Jesuit Colleges and Universities, and files relating to the theology and biology academic departments. Some item level lists are available.
file #110.1 -- University Planning Committee
file #110.1 -- University Planning Committee (summary of meetings and membership on committee 1992-1996)
file #122 -- Jesuit Recruitment Information (2 folders)
file #122.1 -- Jesuit Identity File (3 folders)
file #122.6 -- Jesuit Identity and Mission (3 folders)
file #132 -- (3 folders: Annenberg Foundation, US Steel Foundation, No Name- 10/15/87- 7/11/94)
file #220 -- Alumni Correspondence
file #310 -- VP for Finance
file #315 -- Carroll Scholarships
file #316 -- Director of Financial Aid (2 folders)
file #409 -- Middle States (2 folders)
file #410 -- Headmaster (correspondence with Scranton Prep)
file #411 -- Dean, CAS
file #412 -- (2 folders titled: Dean of Graduate School and Director of Admissions)
file #412.1 -- Graduate School Program
file #412.6 -- Graduate School Student Research Program (2 folders)
file #416 -- Admissions
file #417.19 -- Theology Department
file #417.2 -- Biology Department
file #438.10 -- (7 folders titled: Volunteer Service, Marywood/UofS Cooperative Programs 1984-1994, Marywood Cooperative Program, Marywood/UofS Cooperative Efforts, Marywood Cooperative File, Marywood Cooperative Program, and Marywood/UofS Cooperative Programs)
file #450.6A -- AJCU Task Force
file #450.6B -- (2 folders titled: AJCU Budgeting and AJCU Restructuring)
file #505 -- Redevelopment Authority (Urban Renewal Admin.)
file #510 -- Assoc. VP for Administrative Services
file #531 -- Contract- Science Building
file #537 -- Library- signed contract
file #540.1 -- Real Estate- Miscellaneous (2 folders)
file #551.1 -- Art on the Commons
file #708.2 -- Alcohol Task Force
file #710 -- VP for Student Affairs
This series consists of approximately 25 office files with no original numbering. Contents of the files range from The Task Force on Ignation Identity and Mission, The President's Task Force on Alcohol Abuse, land acquisition, greeting cards, the 1995 affirmative action plan, and J. A. Panuska Comments from the early 1980s to the mid-1990s. Some item level lists are available.
[box 3 continued from series 1]
Indenture of Trust Nov. 1, 1957 and May 1, 1959 (between UofS and NEPA National Bank and Trust Company)
Application for Land Acquisition and Bank Credit Info.
Letter to the class of 1996 from Pres. Bill Clinton
Various Articles (alcohol task force)
Greeting Cards from the University of Scranton Curriculum Study (3 folders)
Memo from George Lynett (audit of city finances, expense side of city operations, revenue side of city operations)
License plate from Panuska's car
GE Curriculum (University Senate's survey responses)
Affirmative Action Plan 1995
Inaugural Congratulations (2 folders)
Task Force on Ignation Identity and Mission 8/26/94-9/27/94
Task Force on Ignation Identity and Mission Oct. '94-3/1/95
Task Force on Ignation Identity and Mission 3/2/95-5/16/95
Task Force on Ignation Identity and Mission 5/31/95-11/9/95
President's Task Force on Alcohol Abuse (reports, surveys, and statistics- 4 folders
Scranton Journal (featuring Panuska Farewell) Fall 1997
Articles Regarding Panuska Resignation (2/12/97 and 2/16/97)
J.A. Panuska Comments undated to 1988
J.A. Panuska Comments 1988-1991
J.A. Panuska Comments 1992-1993
J.A. Panuska Comments November 1993-?
The photographs series consists of public relations photographs, campus images, dignitaries, commencement proceedings, alumni, and others contained in 28 folders.
[box 5 continued from series 2]
Seasonal, "fall, winter, summer"
photos from Sr. Mary Theresa Montesione, St Anthony's Convent
Monuments/Statues (3 folders)
Scranton Family (2 folders)
National Alumni Society
Alumni Photos- Todd Lavelle
Commencement Photos- Panuska
Commencement Photos- Richard Harris
Commencement Photos- Smurfit
Commencement Photos- Frank Carlucci
Commencement Photos- Graduation/honorary degrees
Commencement Photos- 1973
Commencement Photos- Dick Thornburgh
Commencement Photos- Tip O’Neil
photos- no labels
The Correspondence Series contains personal correspondence arranged alphabetically as well as one folder with correspondence dated 1980-1982, one folder of inaugural correspondence, a folder with correspondence concerning President Panuska's appointment 1981-1982, and two folders containing correspondence concerning his resignation/transition to Wernersville. This series is restricted.
Personal Correspondence "B"
Personal Correspondence "C"
Personal Correspondence "D"
Personal Correspondence "E"
Personal Correspondence "F"
Personal Correspondence "G"
Personal Correspondence "H"
Personal Correspondence "I and J"
Personal Correspondence "K"
Personal Correspondence "L"
Personal Correspondence "M" (2 folders)
Personal Correspondence "N"
[box 7] Personal Correspondence "O"
Personal Correspondence "Q and R"
Personal Correspondence "S"
Personal Correspondence "T"
Personal Correspondence "U and V"
Personal Correspondence "W"
Personal Correspondence "X, Y, and Z"
Personal Correspondence 1980-1982
Correspondence with Other Colleges Regarding Panuska's Appointment, 1981-1982
resignation/transition to Wernersville (2 folders)
resignation/transition to Wernersville (newspapers)
45th annual Americanism award dinner, B’nai B’rith 5-17-97
The Speeches series consists of 70 folders containing speeches or talks from 1982 through 1995. Father Panuska is currently retaining the talks given from 1996 through 1998. The folders were originally labeled "Talks" and this title has been retained.
- Book Reviews
- Boston College Talks
- Talks 1982
- Talks Jan- March 1983
- Talks April- Aug. 1983
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1983
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1983
- Talks Jan.- April 1984
- Talks May- Sept. 1984
- Talks Oct.- Dec. 1984
- Talks Jan.- March 1985
- Talks April- June 1985
- Talks July- Oct. 1985
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1985
- Talks Jan.- March 1986
- April- June 1986
- Talks July- Oct. 1986
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1986
- Talks Jan.- April 1987
- Talks May 1987
- Talks June- Aug. 1987
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1987
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1987
- Talks Jan.- March 1988
- Talks April- May 1988
- Talks June- Aug. 1988
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1988
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1988
- Talks March- April 1989
- Talks May- June 1989
- Talks July- Aug. 1989
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1989
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1989
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1990
- Talks March- April 1990
- Talks May- June 1990
- Talks July- Aug. 1990
- Talk Sept.- Oct 1990
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1990
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1991
- Talks March- April 1991
- Talks May- June 1991
- Talks July- Aug. 1991
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1991
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1991
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1992
- Talks March- April 1992
- Talks May- June 1992
- Talks July- Aug. 1992
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1992
Talks Nov.- Dec. 1992
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1993
- Talks March- April 1993
- Talks May- June 1993
- Talks July- Aug. 1993
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1993
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1993
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1994
- Talks March- April 1994
- Talks May- June 1994
- Talks July- Aug. 1994
- Talks Sept. - Oct. 1994
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1994
- Talks Jan.- Feb. 1995
- Talks March- April 1995
- Talks May- June 1995
- Talks July- Aug. 1995
- Talks Sept.- Oct. 1995
- Talks Nov.- Dec. 1995
This series consists of 22 video tapes most of which document President Panuska's career. A few tapes document University events.
- University of Scranton: At A Glance
- Dealers Among Dealers
- Father Panuska 1995 Commencement Address
- Bob Dole’s Campus Visit, September 7 1996
- University of Scranton 1996 Wall of Fame Induction Ceremonies
- Reception for J.A.P., May 14 1982
- Father Panuska Personal Message
- University of Scranton Houlihan/McClean Center Dedication
- Presidents Message, April 1994
- Presidents Message, September 1995
- Presidents Message, October 1996
- Rev. J.A. Panuska, President of the University. Interview recorded in the television studio with Bill Genello, June 26 1997
- McDade Center Dedication 9/17/93 (Master, 2 copies)
- Inauguration Gavel to Gavel - tape I of II
- Inaguration Gavel to Gavel - tape II of II
- Fr. Panuska Inauguration Package
- University Of Scranton A Jesuit University
- Gateway To The Future, University of Scranton
- University of Scranton Second Century Campaign, Ashton-Worthington
- University of Scranton 1994 Commencement Activities, Undergraduate Commencement, Sunday, May 29, 1994
- Shaping The Future, New President's Message, December 1996
- The University of Scranton Presents "The Panuska Years"
- University Network Promotional Tape
This series contains 27 artifacts related to President Panuska's career. Also included are framed photographs.
- University of Scranton insignia plaque - 4" x 3"
- Glass wall hanging Allied Services Award for outstanding leadership - 12" x 9"
- University of Scranton President's Club white marble paperweight - 2" x 2"
- Metal dish with gold etchings, Miguel De Cervantes - 12" diameter
- Collage of Commencement photos, Fr. Panuska with Tim Russert
- Autographed photo of President John F. Kennedy
- Framed photograph of aerial view of University of Scranton, May 9, 1988
- Framed campus map and directory of the University of Scranton
- Framed rendering of University of Scranton insignia
- Copper Statue of boy scout Distinguished Citizens Award from the Northeastern Pa. Council Boy Scouts of America, May 10, 1990
- Wooden Crucifix with metal Corpus, 19 1/2" x 10"
- Pennsylvania license plate, Keystone State US 1888
- Red silk stole with embroidered gold cross and red fringe
- Dark blue corduroy baseball cap, University of Scranton Physical Plant
- Wooden plaque sports award with clock from East Scranton Youth Sports Complex and the Hill Neighborhood Association, March 1985
- University of Scranton Certificate of Distinguished Service, May 15, 1998
- Phi Lambda Upsilon honorary membership certificate, Beta Kapa Chapter, March 1983
- Brass Head of Christ medal in dark red box, Universitas Tyrnaviensis Trnava 1992
- Scranton Sunday Times article engraving on wooden plaque regarding Francis E. Redington, September 9, 1984
- Red silk embroidered box containing soapstone seal with red ink contained in a jar
- Pewter disk, University of Scranton, A Second Cornerstone, 1888-1988, 3" diameter
- Framed poster regarding University of Scranton, 100 years, 20 1/2" x 28 1/2"
- Wooden plaque, University of Scranton Wall of Fame, 1997, 10" x 12"
- Framed photograph of Senator Ed Meese, 9" x 11"
- Framed Photograph of Fr. Panuska with Carol Channing, 9" x 11"
- Greater Scranton Laudatory Award, 12" x 15
Fax: (570) 941-7817
Email: Michael Knies, Special Collections Librarian