Information Update - Winter 1992 - 1993
MSR: A Review
- This first issue of the Weinberg Memorial Library's Information Update provides us with an opportunity to tell you about new services and facilities now available in the Library, and about changes that have taken place.
- Every so often a reference book comes along that is not only invaluable for research, but enjoyable to browse. Such a book is Market Share Reporter, edited by Arsen J. Darnay (Detroit: Gale Research, 1991). MSR is an annual compilation of market share reports from the 1988-1990 period, presenting data on companies, products, services, and brands.
- The value of this book to researchers in marketing is obvious as it draws together a great deal of data from a variety of periodicals and reports. It also gives the sources of the data, thereby possibly leading the researcher to other information.
- For people, though, who don't even know what a market share is, the MSR is a surprisingly fascinating book to browse because it presents data on the popularity of various consumer products and brands. Everything is surveyed — from candy bars to computers, soft drinks to soaps — in easy-to-read charts and graphs. While brands are not rated (as in Consumer Reports), MSR does give one a feel for the marketplace of a particular product
- Market Share Reporter is available at the Reference Desk in the Library.