Information Update - Spring 2014
From the Library Dean
- Happy New Year! 2014 is the Twentieth Anniversary of the founding of the Friends of the Weinberg Memorial Library. The Friends organization was formed in 1994 to support The University of Scranton’s Weinberg Library and to provide cultural outreach to the Northeastern Pennsylvania community. Today’s libraries face the challenge of strengthening collections that reflect the history of ideas while building collections and programs that reflect the present and serve as gateways to the future. During the past twenty years, the Friends have supported this effort by building an Endowment, by adding to the Library's collections, and by sponsoring programs of interest to the community. The Friends’ programs have heightened community awareness of the Library’s resources while the Friends’ gifts to the Library have enriched its collections, furnishings, equipment and services. Members of our Friends group have enjoyed fellowship and friendship with those who value the importance of libraries and learning. And they have had a special opportunity to help the University and Library attain their goal of excellence.
- In 1997, the Friends of the Weinberg Library established its Distinguished Author Award Series to reach the hearts of booklovers in our community and to provide a glimpse into the inner-most hearts of writers. Annually, the Friends of the Library recognize and honor the work of fiction or non-fiction authors and invite authors to our campus to share their literary pursuits and impressions with our academic community and our friends in Northeastern Pennsylvania. During its Twentieth Anniversary year, the Friends of the Weinberg Memorial Library are excited to announce that National Book Award winning author Colum McCann will receive the 2014 Royden B. Davis Distinguished Author Award on Saturday, October 18, 2014. Professor McCann was born in Ireland in 1965. He is the author of six novels and two collections of stories. He has been the recipient of many international honors, including the National Book Award, the International Dublin Impac Prize, a Chevalier des Arts et Lettres from the French government, election to the Irish Arts Academy, several European awards, the 2010 Best Foreign Novel Award in China, and an Oscar nomination. His work has been published in over 35 languages. He teaches at the MFA program in Hunter College.
- I am indebted greatly to all of the Friends of the Library Board members and many volunteers who have worked tirelessly to achieve the organization’s countless successes - from the establishment of the Royden B. Davis Distinguished Author Awards series in 1997, to the Friends’ annual Leaves of Class Raffle, to the Friends’ annual book sale, and to the Friends’ many programs and exhibits. Poet Emily Dickinson said "I know nothing in the world that has as much power as the word...." This is so apropos of our volunteers. They are truly lovers of the written word with a mission. One of our great book lovers and dear friends, Judith L. Weinberger passed away suddenly in December. Judy was a voracious reader and lover of the written word. She was always reading and looking to her friends for their latest author suggestions. Judy served as a member of Friends of the Library Board and as a member of the annual Distinguished Author Award Series Planning Committee. She loved this author series and was always willing to help the Library make it the Friends’ signature event each year. In 2005, she chaired the event honoring author James Grippando. Like Emily Dickinson who knew nothing in the world as powerful as a “word,” I know nothing more powerful than a true friend and supporter of the written word and libraries. Judy was that and more. She will live on in our hearts especially each year as we plan the Distinguished Author Award series.
- Please join us for the Distinguished Author Award event on October 18, 2014 and become a member of The University of Scranton’s Friends of the Weinberg Memorial Library (https://web2.scranton.edu/WML/membership/WMLFriends.asp).
- You too can help us champion the critical role of libraries in today’s society.
—Charles E. Kratz
Dean of the Library
Dean of the Library