Events & Exhibits - Spring 2003
Gadgets and Gizmos
Ron Skutnick, Director of Network Resources at the University, shared his considerable knowledge and expertise with the group in a presentation on installing wireless networks. Ron first defined some terminology and then discussed the various types of wireless systems including the system used here at the University, the 802.11B standard, also know as a "Wi-Fi" network. The group had lots of questions for Ron, who answered them all graciously.
- Mike McGarvey, Lead Store Technician for BestBuy in Dickson City, who demonstrated several of the latest "technogadgets" - PDAs, laptop computers, and MP3 players - a big hit with attendees;
- Scott Thomas, Head of Information Technologies, Scranton Public Library, whose talk, "Live from... Montdale: Networking a Mobile Library" gave everyone an inside view of Lackawanna County Library System's Bookmobile and its mobile wireless system;
- David Schappert, Library Director at East Stroudsburg University, who addressed some of the gnarly security issues libraries need to cons wireless network; and
- Constance Cardillo, LSTA (Library Services Technology Act) Administrator, Commonwealth Libraries, who brought the group up to speed on how to write and apply for library technology grants. Linda Neyer, Evening Public Services Librarian at the Weinberg Memorial Library and Chair of the Continuing Education Committee of NPLN, moderated the event.
- Those attending commented that the conference was a fascinating and timely
Among the presenters at Gadgets & Gizmos were (from left to right) Scott Thomas, Head of Information Technologies, Scranton Public Library; David Schappert, Library Director, East Stroudsberg University; and Ron Skutnick, Director of Network Resources, The University of Scranton
- NPLN is the oldest library consortium in Pennsylvania, established in 1956. Serving academic, public, and special libraries, it provides a unique forum for librarians across the Northeast to meet and explore current and breaking topics with fellow professionals.