Research Tools - Spring 1995
Blackwell's NTO Now Offered Through Library's OPC
- Faculty and students trying to develop bibliographies or looking for new titles to add to the University's collection will soon have an easier time obtaining this information with the help of Blackwell North America's New Titles Online (NTO) service. Blackwell's NTO service has over 500,000 bibliographic citations from scholarly monographs in English covering six years.
- Blackwell's NTO service will be available under "databases" on the Online Public Catalog or from Information Gateway on the Library's Public Access Menu. Monographs may be searched by keyword, title, author, or publisher. Search results can then be printed out or downloaded to a diskette.
- Blackwell's NTO service is especially well suited for assisting faculty in making book purchasing decisions. Approximately 70 percent of the titles on NTO have table of contents information. Many of these titles also have annotations and current pricing information. Chapter authors, table of contents and annotations can be searched using keywords.
- NTO's simplicity and accessibility make choosing books for the University's collection a less time consuming process. It is anticipated that Blackwell's service will be especially useful in selecting titles for the Library's Core Collection Project.
In the area of scholarly research, the service is valuable for creating current, up-to-date bibliographies for any subject. Books retrieved from the service can he checked against the Library's holdings for availability or requested through interlibrary loan.
- It is expected that this service will be installed before the end of February. Additional information about Blackwell's New Titles Online service or instructions in its use are available from Narda Tafuri,Acquisitions Department, at x7811.