A Blog is a Social Networking Tool that can be used for teaching and learning purposes, communication, project management and presentations. There are many Blogging applications available for free on the Internet such as WordPress, PBWiki and Blogger.
In this tutorial you will learn how to create a Blog, post comments and create posts.
There are a few general guidelines to follow when creating a Blog.
- Develop a strategy for your Blog by choosing an interesting topic, identifying your target audience, and defining your goals for the Blog.
- Offer “engaging content” to attract readers to your Blog.
- Choose the Blogging Tool of your choice! There are many “free” Blogging applications available on the Internet such as WordPress, Feedburner, PBWiki and Blogger.
- Help Readers find your posts easily by making sure they can be found through search engines. Most Blogging tools have built-in search engine features that will help optimize searches for you.
- Build a Blogging Community of Readers by allowing them to comment, but to avoid having a free-for-all setup some simple rules to filter and delete spam comments or even “monitor” your Blog. Most Blogging tools have similar features.
- Include some Really Simple Syndication (RSS) feeds in your Blog to keep readers coming back often! They’re available by default in most Blogging tools. Give your readers the option to subscribe using popular RSS readers such as GooleReader, Bloglines, etc. and via email as well.
- It’s not all about you! Start conversations, not diaries, don’t make your Blog a boring monologue about you, yourself and your thoughts! You can easily do this by bringing other voices into your posts, quoting an article you’ve recently read, interviews of other readers etc.
- Check the “vitals” of your Blog on a regular basis. There are usually “reports” options within the Blogging tool that you can use to check statistics on your Blog (or you can use a statistics plug-in). Statistics will give you an idea of what brings your readers to your Blog, what most visited posts are and who the largest referring website is. They can also help you determine topics for your future posts.
- Keep it Up! Don’t start a Blog if you don’t have the time to keep it up. Don’t expected readers to read your blog if you are not willing to keep up with it.
- Happy Blogging! Have fun with your Blog!
Creating an Account
The first step in using a Blogging tool is to create an account.
- From your browser, access the WordPress server by typing the following url: www.wordpress.com
- Click on the button labeled “Get Started" and fill out the required forms. (You can change your blog address if desired).
- Click Create.
- An email will be sent to your chosen email account. Open the email and click the "Activate Blog" link.
Setting Up Your Blog
- Use the given fields to edit your current information
- Choose your theme
- Click on your username in the upper left hand corner to go to the "Dashboard" page.
- The Dashboard is where all of the publishing, posting, and editting is done. It is the central headquarters.
- To create a post, hover over the "Posts" link in the left navigation of the Dashboard and click "Add New"
- Once the new post page loads, edit the title and body of the post as desired. Media can also be added into the post by clicking the Add Media button.
- When finished creating the post, click the publish button on the left side of the screen. The post is now live and can be viewed by those who have access to your blog.
Creating a Page
- Creating a page is step by step exactly the same as creating a post. The difference between a post and page is that a post can become lost on your homepage depending on how much posting is done. Where as a page stays as a link on your home page until you remove it.
- Pages can be editted and viewed at any time.
- Media can be added and stored in a library on the Wordpress server. Up to 3GB of storage for pictures, music, and videos is available. To Add Media to your library, hover over the "Media" tab on the left navigation bar of the dashboard page and select "Add New."
- Click the "Select Files" button and choose the media you wish to upgrade. After uploading your media, it will immediately be added to your library. From your library, you can get the link to the posted media and place it in your blog or other social media sites to allow people to view it.