- Before you begin, create a new collection folder by clicking on the New Collection Folder icon and renaming the folder. You will save all of your pictures, audio and video in this folder.
- To import media into your collections folder, select the folder you just created and choose File > Import into Collections. Select the items you wish to import and click Import.
- To add a photo or still image to your video, click on the image you would like to add first. Hold down the left mouse button and drag the image onto the Video layer on the timeline or onto a storyboard slide.
- Windows Movie Maker allows users to toggle between storyboard or timeline views. If you wish to change views, click on the Show Storyboard or Show Timeline icon.
- To add music, click on the desired music clip and drag it into the Audio/Music layer in the timeline view. Remember: Copyright music cannot be played for more than 30 seconds.
- To add a transition between two video clips, click on Video Transitions. Select the desired transition, drag it onto the timeline or storyboard and drop it between two video clips.
- To change an existing transition, select a new transition from the Video Transitions menu. Drag and drop the new transition on top of the existing transition.
- To delete a transition, right click on the transition in the timeline or storyboard and choose Delete.
- To add video, click on the desired video clip in your collection and drag it into the Video layer on the timeline or onto a storyboard slide. Any audio associated with the video clip will be placed in the Audio layer.
- Remember: Copyright video and audio cannot be played for more than 30 seconds.
- To change the length of time a photo is displayed, select the image on the timeline. Click on the end of the clip and drag it out to add time, or in to remove time.
- To remove part of an audio or video clip in order to achieve the 30 second time limit, start by moving the playback indicator to the time you wish to start cutting the clip.
- Go to Clip > Split.
- If the portion of the clip you wish to remove is not at the beginning or end f the clip, repeat the last step. The portion of the clip you want to remove should be in-between two splits.
- To delete the portion you just selected, right click on it and choose Delete. The clips after the deleted portion will move into the unoccupied space.
Creating Narrative and adding it to the Audio Timeline
- Windows Movie Maker lets you record narration while playing your movie, however, it is necessary to have a microphone attached to the computer you are using. To begin, go to Tools > Narrate Timeline.
- Drag the playback indicator to the beginning of your movie, or where you want to begin your narration.
- Test your microphone and make sure the input level does not hit the red area while you are speaking.
- Click Start Narration to begin recording. When you are finished recording, click Stop Narration. Movie Maker will automatically stop recording when the playback indicator reaches the end of the movie.
- Movie Maker will prompt you to save your audio file. Make sure you save it where your other movie items reside.
- Import your narration into your Collection folder and drag it to the Audio/Music Timeline.
Tools - Title and Credits
- To add a title to your movie, choose Tools > Titles and Credits. Select where you would like to add your title. For example, if you want to add a title before a clip, choose Add title before the selected clip in the timeline. Make sure you select the clip on the timeline or storyboard that you want to the title to precede.
- In the first textbox, type in your headline. If you wish to add a sub headline, type it in the second textbox. You can preview the title by looking at the Preview Monitor on the right side of your screen. If you are finished, choose Done, add title to movie.
- If you want to change the title animation, choose Change the title animation. If you are finished, choose Done, add title to movie.
- To edit your text font and color, click Change the text font and color. If you are finished choose Done, add title to movie.
- If you want to add credits to your movie choose Tools > Titles and Credits, then choose Add credits at the end of the movie.
- Enter all of your information including movie title, team members, and their positions. You can preview the credits by looking at the Preview Monitor on the right side of your screen. You can change the text font, color, and animation the same way as the titles. When you are finished, choose Done, add title to movie. The credits will automatically be placed at the end of the movie.
Save Project As
- To save your project, go to File > Save Project As or press the F12 key.
- Select the folder on your computer you wish to save the project.
- Type in a file name for the project and click Save.
- You should save your project every couple of steps to ensure your changes are kept.
- PLEASE NOTE: You are only saving the project file. You are not saving or producing a movie file.
- When you are finished creating your movie, click File > Save Movie File.
- Choose My Computer and click Next.
- Enter a file name for your movie and choose the directory where you wish to save your movie. Then click Next.
- To change the movie settings, click on Other Settings. If Other Settings is not visible, click Show more choices… From the drop down menu, select Video for Broadband (512kbps). Click Next.
- Windows Movie Maker will now create your movie. Depending on the length and size of your movie, you may have to wait a few minutes.
- Click Finish when WMM is done creating your movie. Your movie will be located in the folder you specified.
- Now you are able to burn the movie file onto a CD or DVD.
View more technology tutorials
View all tutorials