Windows Live Movie Maker
- Open Windows Live Movie Maker
- On the top left hand corner of the screen click the blue button and select new project.
- To add videos and photos to your project make sure the Home Tab on the top left hand corner of the screen is selected. Then select the Add Videos and Photos button.
- Find the Pictures or Videos you wish to add to your movie and click open.
- The video/picture will appear in the middle of the screen. This is your timeline.
- On the bottom right hand corner of the screen is a slider.
- Moving the slider towards the – sign compresses the video/picture on your timeline to make it smaller and easier to see your entire project.
- Moving the slider towards the + sign makes the video/pictures on your timeline expand so it is easier to edit smaller portions of your project.
- To move video or pictures around on your timeline just click and drag the video.
- To add music/audio select Add Music.
- We also recommend you download AdBlock, an extension for your web browser. Do a Google search for mroe information.
- To add a transition between two video clips, click the Animations tab, next to the Home tab.
- Select the video clip you would like to add a transition to. Select the desired transition. The transition will automatically be added to the front of the clip you have selected at the time.
- You can adjust the length of the transition by changing the amount of time in the Duration drop down box. To change an existing transition, select a new transition from the Transitions menu.
- To remove a transition select the video clip and under transitions click No transition.
- To remove part of a video clip in order to achieve the 30 second time limit, first add the clip to the timeline. Then start by moving the playback indicator to the time you wish to start cutting the clip.
- *Remember* - Copyright video and audio cannot be played for more than 30 seconds.
- Select the Edit tab on the top of the screen. (It will also say Video Tools in yellow above it).
- Press Split. The video will then be cut at the point you selected in the timeline.
- If the portion of the clip you wish to remove is not at the beginning or the end of the clip, repeat the last step. The portion of the clip you want to remove should be in between two splits.
- To delete the portion you just selected, right click on it and choose Remove. The clips after the deleted portion will move into the unoccupied space.
- Under the Home tab click Add Music. A dialogue box will display.
- Find the audio file to place in video and select it. Click open.
- The audio file will be automatically added to the video pane within Windows Movie Maker. It is displayed as a green bar above the video.
- Music Options will display as a green box above the Options tab. Click this to display additional options for editing audio.
- The options provided include; Music volume to adjust the volume of the imported clip, Fade in and Fade out to allow seamless transitions between audio levels within the presentation, a split option to Split the audio where needed, Set start time to specify where the music will start, Set start point to specify where in the audio file the music will begin (ex. 30 seconds into the song), and Set end point to specify where the end of the imported audio will be (ex. The song is two minutes but video only needs the audio up to one minute and thirty seconds).
- The green audio bar within the time line can also be dragged around to specify the position needed within the video.
Tools – Title and Credits
- To add a title, credits or caption to your movie, first select the Home tab. Once in the Home tab there are three selections you can choose from.
- Pressing Title will insert text in the front of your movie. Pressing Credits will insert text and the end of your movie. Pressing Caption will add text within your movie where ever the playback indicator is located.
- Select Title, Credits, or Caption. A new tab will appear on the top of the screen in orange named Format.
- A textbox will appear on the video screen on the left. Type you caption in here.
- Font size, color, and style can be adjusted in the Format tab under the Font section on the left side of the tab.
- The duration of your text can be adjusted in the Format tab under the Adjust section in the middle of the tab.
- If you want to change the text animation, select which text you would like to edit and in the Format tab choose Effects.
- Enter all of your information including movie title, team members, and their positions. You can preview the credits by looking at the Preview Monitor on the left side of your screen. You can change the text font, color, and animation the same way for Titles, Credits, or Captions.
Save Project As
- To save your project, select the blue button on the top left of the screen > Save Project As or press the F12 key.
- Select the folder on your computer you wish to save the project.
- Type in a file name for the project and click Save.
- You should save your project every couple of steps to ensure your changes are kept.
- PLEASE NOTE: You are only saving the project file. You are not saving or producing a movie file.
- Make sure that you keep all of the files for the project together. If you move the files they will disappear in your movie until it is published.
Producing the Video
- Click the blue button in the upper left corner of the program.
- Select "Save Movie" then select "Standard Definition"
- Select your project folder and click "save"
- Wait for your video to save. This will take several minutes.
Uploading to YouTube
- Open your web browser
- Go to www.youtube.com
- Log in with the provided username and password.
- Click "Upload" to the right of the search bar.
- Follow the on-screen instructions.