Creating a Discussion Forum
2. Once inside the course, click the Lessons tab located at the top of the page.
3. Click on Add Content, which is located below the heading entitled, Lessons.
7. Next, click on the Access Tab. Notice you can add start and end dates for when your Discussion Forum can be accessed.
- Mode: Switches the discussion between different usage modes:
- Normal – All students may access and participate fully in discussion.
- Private User Journal – Student posts and instructor replies are only visible to the student and the instructor.
- Private Team Journal – Posts by team members and instructor replies are only visible to team members and instructors
- Post First – Users must first post a topic before they’re allowed to view or reply to other student’s posted topics.
- Maximum Instructor Rating Score: Allows you to set a maximum point value for each post. Setting a maximum allows the system to calculate and display points earned vs. points possible during the grading process.
- Allow attachments.
- New Topic Posts: Set the minimum rights level required to post a new top-level topic within a disucssion. For example, you may use the option to control top-level topics and force students to respond to given topics instead of creating their own.
- Student Post Edits: Allows students to edit their existing posts.
- Discussion Moderation:Determines if student posts must be approved by a moderator before they appear within the discussion, or if all posts are automatically approved (they can be rejected later if required). Note that you can require specific student posts to be moderated by editing a students's permissions via the Course Roster too.
- Instructor/Moderator Subject Colors: You may optionally choose to apply a differentiating color to the subject line of instructor and/or moderator posts. This will help students identify posts more easily
10. Next, click on the Assignment Tab if you want to connect the Discussion Forum to the Gradebook. Under the Gradebook Settings area click on the drop down arrow next to the “Assignment” field and select "New Assignment".
- Next choose a "Category" to associate this Assignment to OR create a new category by clicking the "Other" button and entering a title. (CLICK SAVE WHEN DONE).
- Next, enter the number of points possible for the Discussion Forum.
- Calculation Type to “First Submission” to allow the grades to automatically appear in the Gradebook.
- Choose the appropriate Grading Rubric if you already have made one.
- Click Save
11. Click Save to save all settings and to complete the creation of the Discussion Forum.
12. Once inside the forum, click New Post to begin a thread. Most often, Instructors choose to create the 1st post.
14 You will be brought back to your Discussion Forum with a newly added Post.
15. Users can now reply to your post or create a new post. *Note: For a user to reply, they must first click the post or thread they would like to reply to.