TechCon Employment Application
Some of the services include: demonstration and instruction on technology available, resolving technology problems, assistance in getting started using Desire2Learn (D2L) and its advanced features, developing sophisticated web pages, assitance with Lecture Capture Software, creating E-Portfolios, enhancing PowerPoint presentations by incorporating sound and graphics, scanning, recording, digitizing, and audio/video streaming services.Click here to complete the TechCon Employment Application
TechCon Job Description
TechCons will receive the following:
- Flexible hours
- Hourly compensation
- Team meetings
- Gain invaluable technical experience for your resume
- Gain invaluable experience working with clients
- Exposure to technical training and development in emerging technologies
- Supervision by the Instructional Technologist/CTLE Technical Operations and Projects Manager
- Opportunity to work in a lab setting with high-end technology
- Opportunity to contribute toward the advancement of instructional technology in teaching and learning at the University
Qualifications necessary to become a TechCon:
- Eligibility for Federal, State or University work study funds
- Should have a solid understanding of technology and the ability to teach and learn in a collaborative environment
- Possession of a strong balance between technical skills and interpersonal skills
- Willingness to learn a Learning Management System called Desire2Learn (D2L) and assist faculty with its use
- Willingness to learn the University’s Content Management System, where webpages reside, and assist in using it
- Familiarity with computing resources on campus as well as Internet resources such as blogs, electronic mail and social networking tools.
- Experience creating PowerPoint presentations including incorporating graphics and animation and scanning text, graphics and slides.
- Experience with various software applications such as MS Office, Adobe programs (i.e. Photoshop, Flash, Premiere), etc.
- Willingness to meet with the Instructional Technologist/CTLE Technical Operations and Projects Manager on a regular basis and as needed.
- Ability to work independently on projects, follow-through and meet deadlines
- Willingness to learn and apply new knowledge and techniques
- Desire to assist the University in its mission to support the integration of technology into teaching and learning
Interpersonal skills we are looking for include:
- Well organized
- Ability to take initiative
- Good time management skills
- Good presentation skills
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Honest, dependable and flexible
- Maintain a positive attitude
- Ability to work independently as well as on a team
Responsibilities of TechCons
- Meeting with faculty and students to assess their technological needs and determine how to best achieve them
- Working one-on-one with faculty and students to implement the use of the University's Learning Management System called Desire2Learn (D2L).
- Updating and maintaining websites on the University’s Content Management System and training others
- Scheduling appointments with users, following through on projects and meeting deadlines effectively
- Providing assistance in workshops and classes, which includes presentations, demonstrations and preparation (i.e. advertising, documentation etc.)
- Scheduling appointments and managing projects with users
- Creating and maintaining various Web sites
- Attending training sessions that are provided to all TechCons
- Attendance at team meetings to discuss the status of projects
- Being knowledgeable about the services being offered to enhance teaching and learning through the use of technology
- Reading email at the beginning of your working shift and frequently throughout the day
- Entering and tracking projects and events in our project management system
- Researching and presenting emerging technologies
- Assisting with special projects as they arise
Training will be provided.
If you would like to find out more about becoming a TechCon, contact Aileen McHale, the Instructional Technologist/CTLE Technical Projects and Operations Manager.
- Student Services
- Faculty Services
- Faculty Development
- Technical services
- Library Links
- About CTLE