Student Veteran's Organization
Our mission is to provide a welcoming atmosphere to all military veterans through peer support, advocacy, and community involvement while upholding the Jesuit philosophy of being “men and women for others” enabling every member to succeed in higher education and beyond. Membership is open to all student veterans and interested members of the University Community.
Five strengths that we, as military-connected students, bring to campus:
- We are already the product of an intense educational experience.
- We bring experience with diverse perspectives.
- We have mental nimbleness and resilience, and are trained problem-solvers.
- We are working toward a mission; we are focused and driven.
- We are service-oriented.
Please stop by our Veterans' & ROTC Resource Lounge on the first floor of Hyland Hall.
Veteran Education Benefits
We offer a number of services and benefits for veterans and eligible dependents. Please visit our webpage for more information.
Veteran Organization Meetings
Meeting Dates - Fall 2018
|October 5th||Student Veterans' Organization Meeting||11:00am-12:00pm||1st FL Hyland Hall|
|November 9th||Student Veteran's Organization Meeting||11:00am-12:00pm||1st FL Hyland Hall|
|November 9th||Veterans' Day Prayer Service||11:00am||TBA|
|November 9th||Veteran's Day Luncheon||12:00pm||DeNaples Center 4th FL|
|December 7th||Student Veterans' Organization Meeting||11:00am-12:00pm||1st FL Hyland Hall|
- Amy Atkinson, President
- Brittany DuMont, Vice President
- Daniel Redmond, Sergeant-at-Arms
- Christina Whitney, Advisor
The Student Veteran's Organization Advocacy Committee is an advisory group for the moderator of the Organization, in serving as an advocate for our student vets.
- Michael Costello, JD, Faculty Health Administration
Elczyna, CRNA, PhD, Clinical Faculty Nurse Specialist
- Teresa Grettano Ph.D., Faculty English
- Bob Liskowicz, Psy.D., Staff Psychologist, Counseling Center
- Crystal Ondrick, Assistant Director of Financial Aid
- Jason Schwass, Assistant Director for Student Internships, Kania School of Management
- Daniel R. Sweeney, S.J., Faculty Political Science
- Maj. William White, Prof. of Military Science
- Lt Col Joseph K Wetherell Ret., Associate Director, Admissions
- Camille A. Daniels, VA Certifying Office, Office of Financial Aid
- Christine M. Black, Assistant Director, Office of Equity and Diversity/Deputy Title IX Coordinator
- Robert P. Zelno, Committee Chair
- Christina Whitney, Director, The Gerald R. Roche Center for Career Development, Student Veterans Organization Advisor
- Veterans Info from UofS Admissions.
- Veterans info from UofS Financial Aid
- Anne M. Bednar Scholarship: This scholarship was established in 2001 by Robert J. Bednar Jr. ‘69 in honor of his mother, Anne. The scholarship benefits honorably discharged veterans who are enrolled at the University of Scranton, who do not qualify for Yellow Ribbon benefits. Spouses and dependents of honorably discharged disabled veterans will also be considered. Second preference will be given to students who are considered “first responders” or their spouses and children who have financial need as determined by the Financial Aid Office.
- "Half of Us" Video voices of Vets
- ROTC, Military Science Department at U of Scranton
- See also their Royal Warriors Battalion Newsletter
- Student Veterans of America - Scholarships through SVA
- Yellow-Ribbon Program
- Pennsylvania Department of Military and Veteran Affairs
- Lackawana County Veterans' Affairs Office
- On-Line Services for Service Members and Veterans part of the VA Campus Toolkit
- Aurora Foundation: "To enable veterans to successfully graduate from college and enter the workforce."
- Disabled American Veterans
- Free 1 year LinkedIn job seeker subscription for veterans
- Task & Purpose
- My healthevet
- Veterans Crisis Line - 1-800-273-8255 Press 1
- National Resource Directory : Step 1. Click on "Resources" Tab; Step 2. Click on "Education & Training" link of the left-hand side; Step 3. Click on "Scholarships and Other Financial Assistance" link; Step 4. Review and Apply for opportunities.
- Vet Tix
- PHEAA for veterans who are Pennsylvania residents
- Instagram - uofs_svo
- Twitter - UofS_SVC
- Hashtags - #royalvets#electriccityvets#supportstudentveterans#veteransinhighereducation
- (570) 941-6557