Graduate and Continuing Education Student Organization
GCESO Officers for 2013/14, left to right: Rocky Sawyer, Vice President; Chris Nebzydoski, President; Ginger Egan, Moderator; Sana Khan, Publicity/Public Relations
The purpose of the Graduate and Continuing Education Student Organization (GCESO) is to serve the needs of the adult learner (both undergraduate and graduate) and to represent these needs to the University of Scranton by:
- Providing a forum for expression of student views and interests
- Representing the adult student body in the affairs of the University of Scranton
- Providing and encouraging academic freedom, academic responsibility, and student leadership
- Enhancing student moral, spiritual, cultural, social, and physical welfare
- Promoting better educational standards, facilities, and teaching techniques
- Promoting national and international understanding and fellowship at the student level
- Fostering the recognition of the rights and responsibilities of students to the school, the community, and humanity.
All graduate and adult undergraduate students who are following an approved curriculum and who are in good standing are encouraged to join. Any student who receives a Graduate Assistantship appointment at the graduate level or a specially designated award at the undergraduate level (e.g., O'Hara Award, Charlotte Necombe Award, Alpha Sigma Lambda membership) is an automatic member of GCESO. All members of GCESO are eligible to hold office in the organization. The officers (one from the undergraduate student population and one from the graduate student population) represent adult students at the College of Graduate and Continuing Education Dean's Conference.