Any Undergraduate course grade below a C is considered to be a "Deficiency" and will generate a "Deficiency Warning" from the Registrar's Office.

Professors are asked to generate a Mid-Term Grade for any student who is deficient in meeting the class expectations.  The student then needs to decide if he or she can take remedial action to raise the grade or if withdrawing from the class is the better option.  The last date to Withdraw from a class is always specified in the Academic Calendar.  Students should be aware that Withdrawing from a class will have implications for their Financial Aid.

The Center for Teaching and Learning Excellence [CTLE] has a wide range of resources to assist students in reaching their potential.  All students are strongly encouraged to contact CTLE early each semester and to do everything possible to earn the best grades.

There are some classes where a student must earn a C or better before the class will apply to their degree requirements [specifically the "skill courses" of WRTG 107, Composition;  COMM 100, Public Speaking; and C/IL 102 or 104, Computer Literacy.]  Some majors also require students to earn a C or better in all Major or Cognate courses [or both];  other majors have GPA requirements that students must meet in order to stay in that program.

Deficiency Warning are serious, and the implications of ignoring them can be disastrous for you.


A Final Grade of "F" means the student does not earn any credit for that class, and that he or she will need to repeat it in order to complete the requirements for the degree.  [In some cases the student can take a different class, but in that case the unrepeated "F" will have a permanent effect in lowering the GPA.]

Failures cost you time and money.  Usually you will need to pay for the repeated class out of your own funds, and in many cases failing a class can jeopardize all of your Financial Aid.

Students who are having difficulty in a specific class should meet with the Professor as soon as they become aware that they are not doing well.  They should discuss with the Professor their specific options for raising the grade. If they are in danger of Failing, it will often be in their best interests to Withdraw from the class.  Before Withdrawing from a class, a student should discuss the financial and academic implications of that decision with an Academic Advisor. The final date to Withdraw from a class is specified in the Academic Calendar for each semester.

Academic Probation and Dismissal

The College Catalog specifies the policies for Academic Probation. These are so important they are repeated here:

Grade Difficulties: Academic Probation and Dismissal

One semester of academic probation is granted to students whose cumulative GPA falls below 2.00, or who otherwise are in danger of dismissal. A second semester of probation is not automatic; students who do not remove themselves from probation after one semester are subject to dismissal, unless excepted by the appropriate dean. Students who receive an F while on probation are also subject to dismissal, as are students who incur two F’s in one semester, or who accumulate three F’s that have not been successfully retaken. Probationary status may be removed through adequate achievement in summer school or intersession at The University of Scranton.

The student’s dean has the option to stipulate the maximum number of credits for which a student may register during the semester while on probation, and this may be less than the maximum of 18 credits which apply under normal conditions. Students on academic probation are ineligible for participation in extra-curricular activities without the written approval of their moderator, academic advisor and dean.

Students placed on academic probation for a second semester may not participate in any extracurricular activity until such time as they are formally removed from academic probation.

University policy prohibits students dismissed from another institution or a college of the University from registering for courses in any of the colleges of the University in the semester following dismissal.

Academic Dismissal

A student who is dismissed from the University will be sent a letter formally notifying them of that Dismissal.  This letter will give them the option of appealing the Dismissal before a date specified in that letter.