Current CAS Freshmen

Choosing a Major

More than half of incoming freshmen come into the University of Scranton without a major. Freshmen who are undecided regarding their major enter a Common Curriculum within a College, either College of Arts and Sciences (CASC), Kania School of Management (BUSA) or College of Professional Studies (CPSA). The Common Curriculum provides freshmen with assistance and resources as they explore majors of interest. Please inform an advisor in the Academic Advising Center when you are ready to declare your major.

Choosing a major is difficult. It takes work but there are many resources to help.

  • The Academic Advising Center is one resource available to help students choose a major. Come and speak an advisor about majors you are considering.

  • The Career Services Office is another valuable resource available to help students with the major exploration process. Make an appointment to speak to a counselor.

  • Students may also speak with professors, staff member and students in a major of interest.

  • Department websites give you valuable information on majors and careers. University of Scranton Departmental Web Pages

  • Know what courses you are required to take in the major, cognate and general education areas of a particular major by reading the University of Scranton catalog. Do you have the background, skills and interest to take these courses? Undergraduate Programs of Study at the University of Scranton

Students who do not have majors are expected to use these resources to help them decide on a major. If you are not able to declare a major at the end of your freshman year you will be placed in a Goal/Exploratory program. You are able to be in this program for two semesters and you will remain as an advisee of the CAS Academic Advising Center.


Double Majors, Minors and Concentrations

After the first semester freshmen year students may declare a double major. To complete a double major, students must complete all major, cognate and general education requirements of both majors. Often the general education requirements of both majors can be completed by taking the same courses, but other times specific courses are required for one or both majors. Know requirements for both majors. A minimum of eighteen credits must be taken in the second major that is not in the first major. An academic advisor can help you understand the requirements for specific majors.

Minors are offered in many areas. Each minor is different but a minimum of 15 credits is required, but most often 18 credits are required. Courses counted toward the major may not be counted toward the first 15 credits of a minor. However, courses used to complete the cognate and general education requirements may be used in minors.

Concentrations are composed of courses taken from different departments but all have a specific topic. For example, the Latin American Studies Concentration is composed of courses in Spanish or Portuguese, history, political science and philosophy or theology. The common topic of the courses is Latin America, however. Concentrations are also offered in Catholic Studies, Environmental Studies, Human Development, Italian Studies, Judaic Studies, Peace and Justice Studies, Women's Studies, and Aerospace Studies.

The CAS Academic Advising Center will assist freshmen in declaring a double major, minor or concentration.


Placement Exams and Exemption Exams

During Summer Orientation the University of Scranton offers a number of tests that determine appropriate placement in various disciplines.

  • Written Placement Essay- You will be required to write a 450- to 650-word essay responding to an article chosen by members of the English Department during summer orientation.  Your performance on this essay will determine which writing course(s) you will be required to take over the next two semesters.
  • Language Placement Test - Freshmen who plan to continue the study of French, Italian, German or Spanish and who have studied the language for 2 or more years in high school should take a foreign language placement test. Also freshmen who have no formal language background but with some fluency in French, Italian, German or Spanish should also take the test. There are no placement tests for Japanese, Arabic, Chinese, Russian, Portuguese, Latin or Greek. If you have studied these languages or have knowledge from family or experience, you should speak to the professor of the course about placement.
  • Chemistry Test - Students planning on majors that require Chemistry should take the Chemistry placement test.

If you cannot come to Summer Orientation the CAS Academic Advising Center will arrange for you to take the appropriate placement tests before the fall semester classes begin. For more information on placement tests contact the CAS Academic Advising Center.

There are also exemption exams that enable a student to test out of General Education skills courses. Students must register in writing two weeks before the date of the scheduled exam.

  • Computer Literacy
  • Oral Communication




Pride, Passion, Promise: Experience Our Jesuit Tradition